Working with Children

Do you want a career working with children?

If you live or work in the UK and would like a career working with children, come and enrol on our Level 1 Working with Children course, learn new skills and make friends. We have a new purpose-built centre on the border of Southwark and Lambeth. Our Working with Children course is held on Tuesdays from 9:30 – 3:00pm.

How to enrol

The next Level 1 Working with Children Course will be running from 18th September 2017. To register for the next course, we will be having two enrolment days at Blackfriars Settlement on the 11th and 13th September between 10:00am – 2:30pm. Please contact Learning Serives either with email at or call 0207 960 4607 or 07809 377 464 for more information about the course.

Free and half price-courses

To be eligible for Government funding you must be 19 or over on 31 August 2016 and

  • have been ordinarily resident in the UK or another country in the European Economic Area (EEA) for the last 3 years. or
  • have been granted indefinite leave to remain, exceptional leave to remain, right of abode or British Citizenship in the last 3 years. or
  • be the spouse or civil partner of a person covered by one of the statements above and have been both married and resident in the UK for 1 year.

You must bring all relevant documents when you enrol.

Also bring:

  • your UK or EU passport or EU identity card.
  • proof of your address

Free courses

There are no course fees if:

  1. …you are currently receiving a Work-Related Activity Group (WRAG) benefit. That is:
    • you are currently unemployed and receiving an income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance (JSA) or
    • you are currently unemployed and receiving Employment Support Allowance (ESA) or
    • receiving universal credit and are determinded by the JCP as being one of the following categories
      • all work related requirements group
      • work preparation group
      • work focussed interview group
  2. …you are currently unemployed and not receiving JSA or ESA or Universal Credit and receiving certain income-based benefits and can sign a declaration that you need skills training to enter employment. That is:
    • you are receiving Income Support, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit or Universal Credit or
    • you are the partner of someone receiving Working Tax Credit or
    • you or your partner are receiving Pension Credit (Guarantee Credit only) or
    • you are an unwaged dependant (using Job Centre Plus definition) of someone in the previous six bullet points above or
    • you are an asylum seeker receiving income-based benefit/assistance, or their dependant.

You must bring evidence when you enrol: your passport or ID card and a document showing you still receive one of the above allowances (a green sign-on book is not acceptable) or benefits or credits dated within the last 6 months, e.g. a letter from the benefits agency or a bank statement.

There is a £40.00 registration fee unless you have been referred by Job Centre Plus.  This includes the cost of examinations.

Half-price courses fees

If you do not qualify for a free course you may still be eligible to pay only half the full fee:

You must bring evidence when you enrol: your passport or ID card and copies of any relevant documents from the Home Office or your marriage/civil partnership certificate.

2 lessons per week for 17 weeks £280

We have a small bursary fund available to help some students with their fees.

Full-price course fees

If none of the above applies to you, you will need to pay the full price:

2 lessons per week for 17 weeks £560


If we cancel or close a course all fees paid by a student will be refunded.

If you withdraw from a course for a valid reason and this is in the first week of the course the fee will be refunded (including registration fee). There is an administration charge of £5.00 for this.

How to pay

  • by cheque, payable to Blackfriars Settlement
  • by cash

If you need to pay by instalments please ask when you enrol.