Older People's Services
A warm welcome to all who are 50+ but still young at heart. Join us at Blackfriars Settlement for exciting times and to make new friends.
Our older people's services are buzzing with life, fun and laughter with an activities program to suit all. We offer information, advice and support in warm, friendly surroundings. Your needs are our priority. Read what our members think about the club: Letter 1 (PDF 176KB), Letter 2 (PDF 173KB).
Our older people's clubs meet on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, Thursdays and Sundays. On Fridays we run the Crusoe Club for blind and partially sighted people. Members of "Frank's Club", our newly launched Men's Club, get together on Monday afternoons.
Many of our activities are free of charge or very low cost.
- Keep Fit – Chair Based Exercises – Wednesdays 13:30-14:00 and Fridays 11:00-12:00.
- Chair Based Yoga – Thursdays 11:00-12:00.
- Art and Craft session – every Wednesday 14:00-15:30, also once a month on Thursdays – please check our newsletter!
- Sewing Circle – every Thursdays 14:00-16:00, our members are making different items like cushions and bags to sell at our fundraising bazaars. They are also happy to get simple items of sewing, alterations and repairs for a small donation.
- Knitting and Tapestry – Rekindle your childhood memories or learn new skills. Join this group to create your own designs. We meet Thursdays 14:00.
- Jenny's Art Workshop – every last Thursday of a month, 13:45-15:35, Jenny can offer advice on your drawings and painits, so please bring them along. Beginners welcome!
Most of our art and craft sessions are free but there may be a small cost for materials.
Join our singing group to test your vocals. We regularly sing in care homes and at community events. We practice every Thursday afternoon 16:30-17:30.
Learn New Skills – it's never too late
- Computer Skills – Fridays 12:30-15:30 - Whether you are a complete beginner or an expert typist we can help you get started with e-mails and the internet or you can brush up on your general IT skills. Learn how to get connected via skype to family members abroad, do your shopping on-line or get information and advice from the web.
Join Social Activities
- Day Trips – We visit a variety of interesting venues. In spring we go to stately homes and historic palaces, in summer we go to the seaside, in autumn and winter we go to Christmas markets and a Tinsel and Turkey weekend away. Prices vary.
- Other Activities – Join us to watch films, play games, go to the theatre and on day trips or have meals together. Come to celebrate theme days with us. We also host tea dances with a live band and a selection of delicious sandwiches and cakes. Whatever you do at Blackfriars Settlement you will have fun and make friends.
- Grand Bingo – monthly Bingo session on Saturdays – please check our newsletter!
The program varies weekly so check out our older people's services newsletter or contact us for more information.
The British School of Osteopathy Community clinic for the over 55’s
At Blackfriars Settlement, 1 Rushworth Street, London SE1 0RB FREE Appointments available Thurdays from 9:30 to 12:30 Osteopathic treatments with student Osteopaths are supervised by experienced and qualified tutors. Please book your appointment at our reception!
Manicures, pedicures and aromatherapy, massage of neck, shoulders, arms and joints
Marva offers treatments for our members on Wednesdays and some Thursdays. Please check our newsletter for dates. Marva charges subsidised prices, if you are in need of Marva’s services please make a booking by contacting Tina in person or on 020 7928 9521.
Reflexology and Foot Massage sessions
Shinique charges subsidised prices for her treatments and is at our Clubs on Thursday afternoons from 12:30. Please check our newsletter for more information.
Erika visits our Clubs twice a month and charges subsidised prices for ladies and gents haircuts. More information in our monthly newsletter.
Club Times and Lunch Costs
|MONDAYS||15:30-17:30||FRANK'S CLUB FOR MEN
Join us for darts, pool, table tennis, shove ha’penny, friendly chats over a cup of tea and much more…
A fun session to “exercise our brain and feed our memory”
Exercise, Arts and Crafts, massage, manicure&pedicure and lots more….
|THURSDAYS||10:00-16:00||THURSDAY LUNCH CLUB
An action packed day with lunch
A special club for the visually impaired older people, referrals only!
|SUNDAYS||11:00-15:00||SUNDAY LUNCH CLUB
Group discussion, quizzes and musical afternoons
Our lunch prices are:
- £5.00 on Thursdays and Fridays
- £5.50 on Sundays
Most of our activities take place at 1 Rushworth Street in London SE1. See detailed information about our location and how to get here.
Let one of our trained and caring volunteers bring colour to your life by visiting you at home.
- A volunteer will be able to visit housebound, isolated 60+ people on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
- They help and support or just share a cup of tea and have a chat. Both will benefit and enrich each other’s lives.
- They can help clients in their home with correspondence, small decluttering, take clients out for shopping or to places of interest.
- We train volunteers to carry out the visits.
- All volunteers have an enhanced DBS check and references are taken.
How to refer:
Please fill in the Befriending assessment form and email or send it back to us.
|Referral Form Part 1|
|Referral Form Part 2|
We are mainly covering Southwark SE1, Chaucer and Cathedral wards and border areas but please contact to check parts of SE17, SE5. We can refer on to our partner organizations if needed.
We currently have a waiting list for our Befriending Clients but can offer a Telephone Befriending Service in the meantime. A trained volunteer will call every week and have a chat with the older people waiting for a befriender volunteer.
Take a look at our volunteering page if you would like to become a befriender.
Joining Hands Project
Joining Hands is a project that has been set up with a purpose to reduce isolation for older people in Southwark by engaging with the wider community. Community outreach strategies will be used to inform older people and local residents of Southwark about Blackfriars Settlement Older People’s Services and our Consortium of Older People’s Services in Southwark (COPSINS) partner agencies.
Companion Volunteers will help older people wanting to access activities and join clubs to have the opportunity of meeting with a peer beforehand, or at an activity venue, to offer support, encouragement and a friendly face to assist in building up the confidence in taking those, ‘first steps to friendship’, which is what Joining Hands is all about.
Joining Hands hold monthly Taster Days and other organisations will be invited to have an information stall and/or run an activity for older people to try out and learn more about the opportunities that are available to them. This will also be another chance for older people to meet with their peers.
Joining Hands will provide two types of volunteering: Companion Volunteering and Outreach Volunteering. Both provide a chance to meet new people and gain and develop new skills.
For more information on the Joining Hands Project including Taster Days and volunteering opportunities, please contact Eileen Dacey on:
0207 928 9521 or 07958 539 579
usual working days Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday 9.30-5.30pm
Contact the Team
To find out more about any of the above activities call us, Tina Johnston, Sophia Appleby or Eileen Dacey on 020 7928 9521 or e-mail