Positive Ageing @ Blackfriars
A warm welcome to all who are 60+ but still young at heart. Join us at Blackfriars Settlement for exciting times and to make new friends.
Our positive ageing services are buzzing with life, fun and laughter with an activities program to suit all. We offer information, advice and support in warm, friendly surroundings. Your needs are our priority. Read what our members think about the club: Letter 1 (PDF 176KB), Letter 2 (PDF 173KB).
Our postive ageing clubs meet on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, Thursdays and Sundays. On Fridays we run the Crusoe Club for blind and partially sighted people. Members of "Frank's Club", our newly launched Men's Club, get together on Monday afternoons.
Many of our activities are free of charge or very low cost.
- Dancing for Fun – from 13:30
- Chair Based Yoga – Thursdays 11:00-12:00.
- Strength and Balance Exercise – Fridays 10:30-11:30.
- Art and Craft session – every Wednesday 14:00-15:30, also once a month on Thursdays
- Knitting & Sewing Circle – every Thursdays 14:00-16:00, our members are making different items like cushions and bags to sell at our fundraising bazaars. They are also happy to get simple items of sewing, alterations and repairs for a small donation.
Join our singing group to test your vocals. We regularly sing in care homes and at community events. We practice every Thursday afternoon 16:30-17:30.
Learn New Skills – it's never too late
- Computer Skills – Fridays 12:30-15:30 - Whether you are a complete beginner or an expert typist we can help you get started with e-mails and the internet or you can brush up on your general IT skills. Learn how to get connected via skype to family members abroad, do your shopping on-line or get information and advice from the web.
Join Social Activities
- Day Trips – We visit a variety of interesting venues. In spring we go to stately homes and historic palaces, in summer we go to the seaside, in autumn and winter we go to Christmas markets and a Tinsel and Turkey weekend away. Prices vary.
- Other Activities – Join us to watch films, play games, go to the theatre and on day trips or have meals together. Come to celebrate theme days with us. We also host tea dances with a live band and a selection of delicious sandwiches and cakes. Whatever you do at Blackfriars Settlement you will have fun and make friends.
The program varies weekly so check out our positive ageing services newsletter or contact us for more information.
The British School of Osteopathy Community clinic for the over 55’s
At Blackfriars Settlement, 1 Rushworth Street, London SE1 0RB FREE Appointments available Thurdays from 9:30 to 12:30 Osteopathic treatments with student Osteopaths are supervised by experienced and qualified tutors. Please book your appointment at our reception!
Manicures, pedicures and aromatherapy, massage of neck, shoulders, arms and joints
Marva offers treatments for our members on Wednesdays and some Thursdays. Please check our newsletter for dates. Marva charges subsidised prices, if you are in need of Marva’s services please make a booking by contacting Tina in person or on 020 7928 9521.
Reflexology and Foot Massage sessions
Shinique charges subsidised prices for her treatments and is at our Clubs on Thursday afternoons from 12:30. Please check our newsletter for more information.
Erika visits our Clubs twice a month and charges subsidised prices for ladies and gents haircuts. More information in our monthly newsletter.
Club Times and Lunch Costs
At Darwin Court, 1 Crail Row, Walworth, London SE17 1AD
|14:30-16:30||Frank's Club for Men
Join us for darts, pool, table tennis, shove ha’penny, friendly chats over a cup of tea and much more…
A fun session to “exercise our brain and feed our memory”
Exercise, Arts and Crafts, massage, manicure&pedicure and lots more….
|15:30-17:30||Singing for Fun
Singing for COPD and Mental Wellbeing, on Wednesday every 2 weeks (see flier), from 3.30-5.30pm, £2.50
|THURSDAYS||10:00-16:00||Thursday Lunch Club
An action packed day with lunch
A special club for the visually impaired older people, referrals only!
|10:30-11:30||Strength and Balance Exercise
|12:30-15:30||Computer support sessions|
|SUNDAYS||11:00-15:00||Sunday Lunch Club
Group discussion, quizzes and musical afternoons
Our lunch prices are:
- £5.00 on Thursdays and Fridays
- £5.50 on Sundays
Most of our activities take place at 1 Rushworth Street in London SE1. See detailed information about our location and how to get here.
Let one of our trained and caring volunteers bring colour to your life by visiting you at home.
- A volunteer will be able to visit housebound, isolated 60+ people on a weekly or fortnightly basis.
- They help and support or just share a cup of tea and have a chat. Both will benefit and enrich each other’s lives.
- They can help clients in their home with correspondence, small decluttering, take clients out for shopping or to places of interest.
- We train volunteers to carry out the visits.
- All volunteers have an enhanced DBS check and references are taken.
How to refer:
Please fill in the Befriending assessment form and email or send it back to us.
|Referral Form Part 1|
|Referral Form Part 2|
We are mainly covering Southwark SE1, Chaucer and Cathedral wards and border areas but please contact to check parts of SE17. We can refer on to our partner organizations if needed.
We currently have a waiting list for our Befriending Clients but can offer a Telephone Befriending Service in the meantime. A trained volunteer will call every week and have a chat with the older people waiting for a befriender volunteer.
Take a look at our volunteering page if you would like to become a befriender.
Contact the Team
To find out more about any of the above activities call us, Tina Johnston or Eileen Dacey on 020 7928 9521 or e-mail
COPSINS – the Consortium of Older People’s Services in Southwark
Blackfriars Settlement is proud to be a member of COPSINS, the Consortium of Older People’s Services in Southwark. COPSINS was set up in 2012 to support older people in Southwark to access high quality services to support their independence and promote their well being. The partners in the consortium are all local charities:
- Age UK Lewisham and Southwark
- Alzheimer’s Society
- Blackfriars Settlement
- Link Age Southwark
- Southwark Pensioners Centre
- Time and Talents Association
COPSINS partners are working together to deliver high quality services that have the greatest possible positive impact on older people’s lives.
To find out more, call any of the COPSINS partners either directly, or by calling 0345 155 9033 / 0845 155 9033 and asking to be referred to one of us.